As part of its ongoing effort to improve performance and make performance data available to the public, the City of Williamsburg has developed Public Dashboards that are viewable by all citizens of Williamsburg and anyone else with an interest in learning more about City government. These Dashboards are an extension of the City’s award winning Performance Management System and graphically display real-time data from the associated City computer systems. These Dashboards allow you to get a clear and up-to-date view of the City's performance in your specific area of interest.
What kinds of data are displayed on the Dashboards?
The data is organized by the goal areas of City Council’s Goals, Initiatives and Outcomes (GIOs), representing the major goals that City Council hopes to accomplish within the biennium: Community Engagement, Character of the City, Economic Vitality, Neighborhoods and Housing, Transportation, Public Safety, Education and Human Services, Recreation and Culture, Environmental Sustainability and City Organizational Leadership.
The City Manager presents Monthly Departmental Operating Reports and Financial Reports to City Council as part of their meeting packets. They are also available below for downloading.
What's the value of the data?
The metrics help the City understand how we are progressing against achieving these stated goals. As an example, under the goal area of Economic Vitality, you will find tourism-related metrics about various taxes, retail sales, hotel room rentals, etc. In addition to real-time information, the charts and graphs include data from previous fiscal years to show trends and comparisons. Many of the measures come from the National Citizen Survey conducted for Williamsburg in 2008 and 2010.
How to access the Dashboards (Watch the Public Dashboards Video)
The link at the bottom of this page will take you to the Dashboard pages. You must have Microsoft’s Silverlight plugin to use this site. This plugin is available free of charge from Microsoft.com, and is available in PC and Mac versions. To obtain the plugin, visit: www.microsoft.com/silverlight/
- Click on any of the tabs across the top and see the supporting metrics contained within that tab.
- To make an individual metric larger, you can click the “maximize” button located in the upper right hand corner of each individual metric.
- To go back to the Dashboard view, click the minimize button in the upper right hand corner of the expanded metric.
- To view the value associated with the specific chart, place your mouse over the chart to see the numerical data for the specific point in time.
- Click the information icon at the top to display text that describes the metric, why it is important and, hopefully, what it means to you. To minimize the text box, click the information icon again.
If you have any questions, concerns, or ideas, please direct them to the City Information Technology Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.