Phone: (757) 220-2331
Williamsburg Police Officers:
Dedicated Professionals Protecting and Serving Williamsburg's Past...Present...and Future
General Job Description
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Responsible for enforcement of laws of the Commonwealth and the City government, taking reports of citizen complaints, traffic escorts, assisting citizens in need, calming domestic disturbances, aid motorist, provide local information and directions to tourists, processing crime scenes, rendering emergency first aid, assisting the fire department, assisting social services, the public, during natural or precipitated disasters, investigating missing persons, parking enforcement, serving legal documents, assisting other law enforcement agencies.
RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Effect an arrest, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and other restraints; subdue resisting suspects using maneuvers and weapons and resort to the use of hands and feet and other approved weapons in self-defense.
Prepare investigative and other reports, including sketches, using appropriate grammar, symbols and mathematical computations.
Exercise independent judgement in determining when there is reasonable suspicion to detain and question, when probable cause exists to search and arrest and when force may be used and to what degree.
Operate a law enforcement vehicle during both the day and night; in emergency situations involving speeds in excess of posted limits, in congested traffic and in unsafe road conditions caused by factors such as fog, smoke, rain, ice and snow.
Communicate effectively and coherently over law enforcement radio channels while initiating and responding to radio communications.
Gather information in criminal investigations by interviewing and obtaining the statements of victims, witnesses, suspects and confidential informers.
Pursue fleeing suspects and perform rescue operations which may involve quickly entering and exiting law enforcement patrol vehicles; lifting, carrying and dragging heavy objects; climbing over and pulling up oneself over obstacles; jumping down from elevated surfaces; climbing through openings, jumping over obstacles, ditches and streams; crawling in confined areas; balancing on uneven or narrow surfaces and using bodily force to gain entrance through barriers.
Load, unload, aim and fire using either hand from a variety of body positions handguns, shotguns and other agency firearms under conditions of stress that justify the use of deadly force and at levels of proficiency mandated by State certification standards.
Perform search of people, vehicles, buildings and large outdoor areas which may involve feeling and detecting objects, walking for long periods of time, detaining people and stopping suspicious vehicles and persons.
Conduct visual and audio surveillance for extended periods.
Engage in law enforcement patrol functions that include such things as working rotating shifts, walking on foot patrol and physically checking the doors/ windows of buildings to ensure they are secure.
Effectively communicate with people, including juveniles, giving information, directions, mediating disputes and advising of rights and processes.
Demonstrate communication skills in court and other formal settings.
Detect and collect evidence and substances that provide the basis of criminal offenses and infractions that indicate the presence of dangerous conditions.
Endure verbal and mental abuse when confronted with the hostile views and opinions of suspects and other people encountered in an antagonistic environment.
Perform rescue functions at accidents, emergencies and disasters to include directing traffic for long periods of time, administering emergency medical aid, lifting, dragging and carrying people away from dangerous situations and securing and evacuating people from particular areas.
Process and transport prisoners and mental patients using handcuffs and other appropriate restraints. Put on and operate a gas mask in situations where chemical agents are being deployed.
Extinguishing small fires by using a fire extinguisher and other appropriate means.
Read and comprehend legal and non-legal documents, including the preparation and processing of such documents as citations, affidavits and warrants.
Process arrested suspects to include taking their photographs and obtaining a legible set of inked fingerprints impressions.
Must be at least 21 years of age.
Good mental and physical health.
Vision correctable to 20/30 and no color blindness.
High school diploma or equivalent; College preferred.
Valid Virginia Operator's License.
Be of good moral character.
Have no felony or misdemeanor conviction involving moral turpitude.
Have no convictions of a crime involving Domestic Violence.
Have an acceptable driving record.
- 26 Pay Periods per year - every other Friday.
- Comp/Overtime paid quarterly for Officers (FLSA).
- Uniforms/Equipment furnished by the City, with the exception of belt and socks.
- Retirement paid by the City (VSRS).
- Tuition Refund Program available with a "C" or better for undergraduate and "B" or better for graduate work.
- Life Insurance provided (annual salary rounded to the nearest thousand doubled).
- Health Insurance paid by the City, with Dental and Prescription Plan.
- Annual Leave - depended on years of service:
- 0 - 5 years 12 days per year
- 5 - 10 years 15 days per year
- 10 - 15 years 18 days per year
- 15 - 20 years 19.5 days per year
- 20+ years 21 days per year
- Sick Leave earned at 1 day per month - 120 days maximum accumulation.
- Discretionary Leave - 88 hours per year. Unused time paid in January.
- Job announcement published.
- Application form completed, notification of Orientation/Test date attached.
- Orientation - Selection process and employee benefits explained, Equal Employment form completed, and the Written Test given.
- Applicants must pass a test to continue. Applicants with the top ten scores are notified of the next steps. Those passing the test, but not finishing in the top ten, will be notified that further advancement may be obtained through attrition. Those not passing may reapply after the next published Job Announcement.
- Employment Applicant/Background Questionnaire, along with Release Forms (Military, Schools Etc).
- Oral Review Board - Three Officers independently rating on: Communications Skills; Judgement; Stress Tolerance; Sensitivity; and Appearance.
- Investigator Interview - Verify Application/Background Questionnaire and other documents for correctness; fingerprint applicant, answer questions from applicants.
- Eligibility List Established - Numerically ranking by points awarded in each step of the Selection Process:
- Written Test - Pass/Fail
- Education - 20% of points awarded
- Work Experience - 20 % of points awarded
- Oral Review Board - 60% of points awarded
- The top three applicants are forwarded to the Chief of Police, who will select one or more for further processing or testing, to include:
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- Physical Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Substance Screening
- Background Investigation
- Other Tests, examinations, etc., as enumerated on the Conditional Offer of Employment
THE CITY OF WILLIAMSBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER