Redoubt Park, located on Quarterpath Road, was dedicated on May 5, 2007 to celebrate the 145th Anniversary of the Battle of Williamsburg. When Virginia left the Union on April 17, 1861, Southern leaders recognized that the Federal army could approach their capital at Richmond by way of Williamsburg. Benjamin Stoddard Ewell, a West Point graduate and president of the College of William & Mary, conceived the construction of the Williamsburg defensive line. During the summer of 1861, Confederate Army of the Peninsula commander General John Bankhead Magruder organized the construction of 14 redoubts between College and Queens creeks.
The two redoubts, #1 and #2, preserved in Redoubt Park, were built by soldiers and slaves to guard Quarterpath Road and the right flank of the Williamsburg Line overlooking Tutters’ Mill Pond. On May 5, 1862, the Williamsburg Line was the scene of a terrific battle with over 3800 Union and Confederate casualties. This inconclusive engagement left the Union in control of the Virginia Peninsula. These fortifications remain a stark tribute to those who served, defining America’s future.
Park Dedication Video
(Windows Media Player)
For more information about Williamsburg during the Civil War, visit Civil War Williamsburg.
To learn more about Redoubt Park, please contact the Williamsburg Parks and Recreation Department at (757) 259-3760 or email.
The City of Williamsburg does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs or activities.