Smoke Alarms Save Lives
Smoke alarms that are properly installed and maintained play a vital role in reducing fire deaths and injuries. If there is a fire in your home, smoke spreads fast and you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out.
Here's what you need to know!
- A closed door may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire. Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room and outside each separate sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home.
- Change your clocks, change your smoke alarm batteries.
- Large homes may need extra smoke alarms.
- Test your smoke alarms at least once a month. Press the test button to be sure the alarm is working.
- Today’s smoke alarms will be more technologically advanced to respond to a multitude of fire conditions, yet mitigate false alarms.
- When a smoke alarm sounds, get outside and stay outside.
- Replace all smoke alarms in your home every 10 years.
- Test your smoke alarms monthly.
The Williamsburg Fire Department will inspect, service, or install smoke detectors at no cost. Additionally, free smoke alarms can be provided for City homeowners upon request.
Schedule a smoke alarm installation or service.
For more information about our Smoke Alarm Program, contact us at 757-220-6220.
Visit the National Fire Protection (NFPA) website for more information on Smoke Alarms!