Police Officer Employment Overview
There are two different paths to becoming a police officer with the City of Williamsburg Police Department:
- Police Officer (Recruit): $48,000
- Police Officer (Certified): $51,500
Online job application for Police positions.
- 26 Pay periods per year - every other Friday. Comp/Overtime paid according to Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Uniforms/Equipment furnished by the City, with the exception of belt and socks.
- Retirement paid by the City (Virginia Retirement System).
- Tuition Refund Program available with a "C" or better for undergraduate and a "B" or better for graduate work.
- Life insurance provided (annual salary rounded to the nearest thousand doubled).
- Health Insurance supplemented by the City, with Dental and Prescription plan.
- Sick leave earned at 1 day per month: 120 days maximum leave accumulation.
- Discretionary Leave: 88 hours per year. Unused time paid in January.
- Annual Leave - depending on years of service:
- 0 to 5 years (12 days per year)
- 5 to 10 years (15 days per year)
- 10 to 15 years (18 days per year)
- 15 to 20 years (19.5 days per year)
- 20+ years (21 days per year)
- Write clearly, accurately, concisely, legibly, and with correct English grammatical construction and spelling.
- Read and interpret complex technical documents in English.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Observe, assimilate, remember, record, and recall pertinent facts and details.
- Read maps and mapped information.
- Apply selected knowledge (e.g., laws, statutes, court decisions, department policies, criminal investigation theories, etc.) in collecting, organizing, and analyzing a variety of information in order to decide on an appropriate and reasonable course of action.
- Analyze problems and have the potential to rationally and calmly take effective action in emergency and stress situations.
- Plan and effectively present material orally to diverse groups.
- Deal courteously but firmly with the general public.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with coworkers and other City employees.
- Ability to operate small office equipment, including copy machines or multi-line telephone systems.
- Ability to operate computers for data entry, word processing and/or accounting purposes.
- Ability to operate highly technical computer applications, such as geographic information system (GIS) or RMS.
- Must be at least 21 years of age and a citizen of the United States of America.
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent; College preferred.
- Good mental and physical health. Vision correctable to 20/30 and no color blindness.
- Valid Virginia Operator's License and an acceptable driving record. Have no felony convictions. No misdemeanor conviction involving drugs, domestic violence or moral turpitude. No other misdemeanor convictions within the last 60 months. Must be of good moral character.
- Must be a non-smoker and accept such as a condition of employment. Must not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening, if such screening is required by the hiring law-enforcement agency or jail, where the positive result cannot be explained to the law enforcement agency or jail administrator's satisfaction. In addition, all such officers who enter upon the duties of such office after July 1, 2013, shall not have been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to:
- Any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude including but not limited to petit larceny under 18.2-96, or any offense involving moral turpitude that would be a misdemeanor if committed in the Commonwealth,
- Any misdemeanor sex offense in the Commonwealth, another state, or the United States, including but not limited to sexual battery under 18.2-67.4 or consensual sexual intercourse with a minor 15 or older under clause (ii) of 18.2-371, or domestic assault under 18.2-57.2 or any offense that would be domestic assault under the laws of another state or United States.
- Employees shall only wear the earrings authorized in the Administrative Orders, no other body piercing jewelry shall be worn. Employees are prohibited from wearing jewelry in their tongue, eyebrows, cheeks, or other body parts (except in the ears) while on-duty. Tattoos on the ears, head, face, nose, eyebrows, neck, or tongue are prohibited. Tattoos on all other parts of the body shall be covered at all times by issued clothing or by utilizing commercially available cosmetics or fabric covers made for the purpose of covering tattoos. If commercial products are used, they must be of a skin-tone color and be neutral in appearance.
The work requires the ability to exert exceptionally strong but not constant physical effort to perform very heavy, typically involving some combination of:
- Mental acuity
- Repetitive motion
- Visual acuity
Tasks may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of objects and materials of heavy objects and materials (exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects, visual perception, and discrimination, the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds, perceive and discriminate color, perceive odors, and require oral communications.
Professional Services BureauPhysical Address
425 Armistead Avenue
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Phone: (757) 220-2331Fax: (757) 259-7204Emergency: 911
News & Information
The Williamsburg Police Department is currently hiring certified officers and police recruits. Please apply online and complete the forms listed below.