- Real Estate Assessment
- Real Estate Tax Relief Programs
Real Estate Tax Relief Programs
The Fiscal Year 2022 Adopted Budget includes a 4-cent increase to the real property tax rate, putting the City of Williamsburg’s rate at $0.64 per $100 of assessed value. The rate remains the lowest in the region by 15.5 cents. At the time of the budget’s adoption, City Council expressed concern for property owners struggling because of the economic effects of the pandemic and asked City staff to establish a relief fund to help those residents with their real estate tax bills.
City of Williamsburg property owners who have struggled with the economic impact of COVID-19 can now apply for real estate tax relief to offset the recent tax rate increase. City Council established two funds: the Residential Real Estate Tax Relief Program and the Small Business Real Estate Tax Relief Program.
If you answer yes to all the following questions, you may be eligible for assistance from the Residential Real Estate Tax Relief Program:
- Is your primary residence in the City of Williamsburg and you pay real estate taxes?
- Was your income at or below 80% median income in 2020?
- Did you experience a loss of income of 10% or more due to COVID-19 pandemic?
- Do you have verification of your income loss and the COVID-19 impact?
Read more about the Residential Real Estate Tax Relief Program and apply.
- Business must pay real estate taxes to the City of Williamsburg
- Business must be licensed in the City of Williamsburg
- Business must have employed fewer than 20 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) employees at any point in time between March 13, 2020 to June 30, 2021
- Business must be able to demonstrate a 20% reduction in gross receipts from 1/1/2020 to 12/31/ 2020 compared to 1/1/2019 to 12/31/2019
- Business must be able to validate that the reduction in gross receipts is due to the COVID-19 pandemic
Read more about the Small Business Real Estate Tax Relief Program and apply.