The Tourism Development Fund (TDF) Program will begin accepting online applications Feb. 1, 2023.
The Tourism Development Fund is intended to increase patronage to restaurants, attractions, hotels, and events in the City of Williamsburg through financial assistance and reinvestment in tourism products, place-making projects, and public-private partnerships.
This is the second application cycle for TDF after an extended pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The first application cycle concluded in November 2019 with grants that funded projects such as:
- the fourth lighted field at Kiwanis Park
- the design of a new wayfinding system
- the public restroom renovation on S. Henry St.
- new furniture in City Square for Williamsburg Regional Library
- and the further study and design of a regional indoor sports complex
The application process consists of two phases: 1) the application window from Feb. 1 through March 15 and 2) the selection of qualified applicants to present their proposed projects to the Tourism Development Grant Review Committee (TDGRC) in the summer of 2023. TDGRC will present its funding recommendations to City Council in the fall of 2023. Approved applicants will receive the funding in late 2023 or early 2024.
The 2023 application process is fully online and creates a more user-friendly experience for the parties involved. Applicants can save their progress and easily upload attachments as necessary.
The Economic Development Department and the Tourism Development Grant Review Committee will host two “open house” information sessions, one virtual and one in-person, where potential applicants are invited to attend and ask questions about proposed projects or the application process:
- Virtual: Tuesday, Feb. 7 at 1 p.m. Register online.
- In-person: Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 10 a.m. at the Williamsburg Community Building, 401 N. Boundary St.
More information on the Tourism Development can be found at williamsburgva.gov/tdf.