WPD Joins "Neighbors" by RING
App connects people, cameras and law enforcement
The Williamsburg Police Department announced that it has joined the free Neighbors app by Ring to provide the community with real-time, local crime and safety information. The Neighbors network already has millions of users and has been instrumental in catching package thieves, stopping burglaries, and keeping neighborhoods safe.
Residents can text ‘StaySafe’ to 555888 from their smartphone to download the Neighbors app for free on iOS and Android and use the app to; join their neighborhood, share crime and safety-related videos, photos and text-based posts; and receive real-time safety alerts from their neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team.
Chief Sean Dunn, said, “This is a great opportunity for Williamsburg. There is already a high level of engagement and support between our officers and our community. The Neighbors app provides our police department another technology tool to combat local crime and thereby maximizes the safety of our community. I thank everyone who chooses to partner with us on this new and exciting endeavor.”
Jamie Siminoff, Chief Inventor and Founder of Ring, said: “We’re excited to have the Williamsburg Police Department join Neighbors to keep their community up-to-date on local crime and safety information. Over the past few years we have learned that, when neighbors, the Ring team, and law enforcement all work together, we can create safer communities. Neighbors is meant to facilitate real-time communication between these groups, while maintaining neighbor privacy first and foremost. By bringing security to every neighbor with the free Neighbors app, the Williamsburg community can stay on top of crime and safety alerts as they happen.”
How It Works
- Download the Neighbors app for iOS (Apple App Store) and Android (Google Play) or text ‘StaySafe’ to 555888 from your smartphone.
- Opt-in to join your neighborhood.
- Customize the geographic area you want to receive notifications for (users must verify where they are located and cannot participate in other neighborhoods).
- Receive real-time alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team that inform of crime and safety alerts as they happen.
- View local crime and safety posts via a live feed or interactive map.
- Share text updates, photos and videos taken on any device, including Ring’s home security devices.
- Work with your community to make neighborhoods safer.
Neighbors is a neighborhood watch app that provides real-time, local crime and safety information. Download the free Neighbors app (iOS/Android), join your neighborhood, and use the app to: view neighborhood activity; share crime and safety-related videos, photos and text-based posts; and receive real-time safety alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team. For more information visit www.ring.com/neighbors.