FORWARD VIRGINIA GUIDELINES:
City of Williamsburg Emergency Temporary Zoning Guidance for Phase 1 of Forward Virginia
To All City Planning Stakeholders
Pursuant to City of Williamsburg Ordinance #20-02, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic emergency, the following Virtual Planning meetings are scheduled:
June 17th, 2020, Regular Meeting at 4:00 p.m.
The Commission meeting agenda will be posted on June 12th.
**Planning Commission Work Session scheduled for June 24th has been canceled.
Architectural Review Board
June 23, 2020, Regular Meeting at 2:30 p.m.
Applicant information submitted for this meeting will be available for review after June 19th.
The Board meeting packet will be posted on June 19th.
Board of Zoning Appeals
July 7, 2020, Regular Meeting has been canceled due to no applications submitted to be reviewed by the Board.
ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW BOARD GUIDELINE REVIEW
The update of the Design Review Guidelines has been suspended as City facilities have been closed due to coronavirus. Once facilities reopen to the public staff will issue a revised meeting schedule.
Our office is open remotely. Please feel free to contact us by phone at 757-220-6130 or www.williamsburgva.gov/planning. We will return your call or email asap.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns at 757-220-6133 or email@example.com.
If you have plans to drop-off to planning for review, we have a blue bin outside the main entrance door of the Municipal Building at 401 Lafayette Street, where you can drop-off your plans. Please email or phone planning, as noted above, after you have dropped off your plans so that we can arrange for pick up and review.
I appreciate your flexibility at this time as we continue to work closely with State and local officials to best address the developing circumstances.
Carolyn Murphy, AICP
Planning and Codes Compliance Director
Carolyn A. Murphy, AICP, Planning and Codes Compliance Director
Erin C. Burke, Principal Planner
Heather I. Markle, Zoning Administrator
Heather N. Moore, Administrative Assistant/Planning Clerk
As a place of special national significance, Williamsburg deserves special care in planning for a future which will preserve and enhance the qualities which have earned this significance. Carefully orchestrated urban growth and environmental preservation along with stress on the importance of maintaining a strong link between Williamsburg's urban planning goals and effective land use implementation techniques, is one of the major emphases of planning for the City's future.
The planning department's role in the attempt to ensure the continued eminence of Williamsburg, is partially contained in the department's mission statement:
- Assist the Planning Commission and City Council in the development of a Comprehensive Plan to serve as policy guide for future land development in the City.
- Assist Planning Commission and City Council in the development of measures to implement the
- Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Ordinance
- Erosion and Sedimentation Control Ordinance
- Administer the implementation measures
- Zoning Ordinance enforcement, Subdivision Ordinance enforcement, Erosion and Sedimentation Control enforcement, Architectural Review Board process, Site Plan Review process, and Uniform Statewide Building Code
- Property Maintenance Code
- Provide information and advice to citizens and developers on land use issues
- Information requests, Review of preliminary development proposals
- Citizen complaints
- Administer the Uniform Statewide Building Code