Carolyn A. Murphy, AICP, Planning and Codes Compliance Director
Erin C. Burke, Principal Planner
Karen Kelly, Administrative Assistant
As a place of special national significance, Williamsburg deserves special care in planning for a future which will preserve and enhance the qualities which have earned this significance. Carefully orchestrated urban growth and environmental preservation along with stress on the importance of maintaining a strong link between Williamsburg's urban planning goals and effective land use implementation techniques, is one of the major emphases of planning for the City's future.
The planning department's role in the attempt to ensure the continued eminence of Williamsburg, is partially contained in the department's mission statement:
- Assist the Planning Commission and City Council in the development of a Comprehensive Plan to serve as policy guide for future land development in the City.
- Assist Planning Commission and City Council in the development of measures to implement the
- Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Ordinance
- Erosion and Sedimentation Control Ordinance
- Administer the implementation measures
- Zoning Ordinance enforcement, Subdivision Ordinance enforcement, Erosion and Sedimentation Control enforcement, Architectural Review Board process, Site Plan Review process, and Uniform Statewide Building Code
- Property Maintenance Code
- Provide information and advice to citizens and developers on land use issues
- Information requests, Review of preliminary development proposals
- Citizen complaints
- Administer the Uniform Statewide Building Code