POLICE OFFICER (CERTIFIED) - SELECTION PROCESS
- Job announcement published with application deadlines (newspaper, internet, City TV channel, letters to community leaders/organizations, etc).
- Application, Background Questionnaire, Release Form completed. Orientation correspondence sent.
- Applicants are scored based on education and work experience. Applicants are notified of the next steps. Those not selected will be notified that further advancement may be obtained through attrition and reevaluation and that they may reapply after the next published Job Announcement.
- Oral Review Board—Consists of police personnel independently rating applicants on: Communications Skills; Judgment; Stress Tolerance; Sensitivity; and Appearance.
- Investigator Interview—Verify Application / Background Questionnaire and other documents for correctness; fingerprint applicant, take photograph, answer questions from applicants.
- Eligibility List Established—Numerically ranking applicants by points awarded. The list is valid for the time period determined by the Chief of Police.
- Lists are compiled based on the following:
- Top Applicants - Education and Work Experience - Points added and selected applicants continue to Oral Review Board.
- Results from Oral Review Board compiled and added to education and work experience points. Candidates list in numerical order on official Eligibility List.
- When an opening occurs, the top applicants are forwarded to the Chief of Police. The Chief selects candidates for a full background investigation and further testing, which may include:
- Conditional Offer of Employment.
- Physical Examination.
- Psychological Examination.
- Substance Screening.
- Background Investigation.
- Other tests, exams, etc., as enumerated on the Conditional Offer of Employment.
NEWS & INFO
At this time, the Williamsburg Police Department is not hiring. However, please complete and turn in an application so we can have your information on file for use during the next hiring opportunity.
The City of Williamsburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Professional Services Bureau
425 Armistead Ave.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Phone: (757) 220-2331