POLICE OFFICER (RECRUIT) - SELECTION PROCESS
- Job announcement published with application deadlines (newspaper, internet, City TV channel, letters to community leaders/organizations, etc).
- Notification of Orientation/Test date.
- Application completed.
- Orientation - Selection process and employee benefits explained. Equal Employment form completed and the Written Test is given. A study guide and practice test is available at https://www.ApplyToServe.com/Study/.
- Applicants must complete a test to continue. Applicants with the top scores are notified of the next steps. Those passing the test, but not finishing in the top, will be notified that further advancement may be obtained through attrition and an Oral Review Board process. Those not selected may reapply after the next published Job Announcement. Employment Applicant/Background Questionnaire, and Release Forms (Military, Schools, Credit, Etc) completed.
- Oral Review Board - Consists of police personnel independently rating applicants on: Communications Skills; Judgment; Stress Tolerance; Sensitivity; and Appearance.
- Investigator Interview - Verify Application / Background Questionnaire and other documents for correctness; fingerprint applicant, answer questions from applicants.
- Eligibility List - Numerically ranking applicants by points awarded. The list is valid for a time period as determined by the Chief of Police.
- Education - 20% of points awarded
- Work Experience - 20% of points
- Oral Review Board - 60% of points
- When an opening occurs, the top applicants are forwarded to the Chief of Police, who will select one or more for further processing or testing, to include:
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- Physical Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Substance Screening
- Background Investigation
- Other tests, exams, etc., as enumerated on the Conditional Offer of Employment.
NEWS & INFO
At this time, the Williamsburg Police Department is not hiring. However, please complete and turn in an application so we can have your information on file for use during the next hiring opportunity.
The City of Williamsburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Professional Services Bureau
425 Armistead Ave.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Phone: (757) 220-2331