POLICE OFFICER (RECRUIT) - JOB DESCRIPTION
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically detailed in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually described in this job description.
POLICE OFFICER (RECRUIT)
Pay Grade: 208
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Responsible for attending training at the criminal justice training academy and successfully completing all practical and written tests and requirements as established by the academy and the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services. Upon satisfactory completion of the training, and graduation from the academy, the Police Officer Recruit will be sworn in as a Police Officer with full police authority. Failure to graduate from the academy within the prescribed training period will be cause for termination.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Attends training as assigned.
- Identification and utilization of principles and techniques that promote community service, crime prevention, and appropriate behavior.
- Completion of written tests and exercises.
- Completion of practical test and exercises.
- Effective and professional communications through written, oral and mechanical media.
- The safe operation of an emergency vehicle.
- Training in order to learn good judgment and competency in the use of deadly force, ancillary police weaponry, and weaponless defense.
- Other related courses or programs as required.Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent; and
- No experience required
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License.
- None Specified.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Write clearly, accurately, concisely, legibly, and with correct English grammatical construction and spelling.
- Read and interpret complex technical documents in English.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Observe, assimilate, remember, record, and recall pertinent facts and details.
- Read maps and mapped information.
- Apply selected knowledge (e.g., laws, statutes, court decisions, department policies, criminal investigation theories, etc.) in collecting, organizing, and analyzing a variety of information in order to decide on an appropriate and reasonable course of action.
- Analyze problems and have the potential to rationally and calmly take effective action in emergency and stress situations.
- Plan and effectively present material orally to diverse groups.
- Deal courteously but firmly with the general public.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with coworkers and other City employees.
- Ability to operate small office equipment, including copy machines or multi-line telephone systems.
- Ability to operate computers for data entry, word processing and/or accounting purposes.
- Ability to operate highly technical computer applications, such as GIS or RMS.
The work requires the ability to exert exceptionally strong but not constant physical effort to perform very heavy, typically involving some combination of balancing, climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, fingering, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, walking and may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of heavy objects and materials (exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects , visual perception and discrimination, the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds, perceive and discriminate color, perceive odors, and require oral communications.
Work is regularly performed in a physically threatening environment that requires the employee to make life and death decisions for themselves and others.
NEWS & INFO
At this time, the Williamsburg Police Department is not hiring. However, please complete and turn in an application so we can have your information on file for use during the next hiring opportunity.
The City of Williamsburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Professional Services Bureau
425 Armistead Ave.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Phone: (757) 220-2331