UPDATE MARCH 30, 2020:  The following City of Williamsburg buildings and facilities are closed to the public through April 23:  Municipal Building, Stryker Center, Quarterpath Recreation Center, Waller Mill Park, Police Department and Fire Station (only required staff will be at work, others will be teleworking). Governor Northam issued a "stay at home" executive order through June 10, 2020. Business assistance information can be found here. The City's telephone hotline (for city service questions):  (757) 259-7200 and the Virginia Health Dept. call center (for COVID-19 questions/concerns):  (757) 594-7069.

Permit Procedure

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
What is a building permit?

A building permit is the authorization to begin construction, alteration or demolition of any residential, commercial, or industrial structure as required by the Uniform Statewide Building Code.

Where can I obtain a building permit?

You may apply for a permit at the Building Inspections Office in the Williamsburg Municipal Building.

What do I need to obtain a building permit?

You should provide the following information to complete the building permit application:

  1. Address of the property.
  2. Contractor and State and Local Contractor License information.
  3. Owner information.
  4. Mechanics' Lien Agent information.

In addition to completing a building permit application you will need to provide the following:

  1. Plans for the structure (2 sets) which will have to meet specifications required by Building Inspections and the Uniform Statewide Building Code. Plans must include preparers name, address and telephone number.
  2. An approved site plan which will have to meet the regulations of the City Zoning Ordinance.
  3. Soil report (1 copy) relating the shrink swell possibilities for the property, when required.
  4. An application for Land Disturbance Permit and Right of Way Permit, when applicable.
  5. The Building Inspections Office may issue permits to owners or agents of owners (commonly the "contractor" acts as the "agent"). If someone other than a contractor receives a permit, he or she must sign an affidavit regarding licensure as a contractor.
Is there a permit fee?

Yes, the fee is based on a schedule adopted by the City Council. These permit fees, as well as sewer and water fees are to be paid at time of permit issuance.

How long will it take to process an application?

If you have all the information required, it will take from three to five business days to review the plans and issue plan review comments or a permit if plans are in compliance.

How long are the permits valid?

Permits are valid as long as work proceeds, but become void if no work is accomplished during any six month period.

What if the permit expires?

You may request an extension prior to expiration. If not, you will have to reapply and pay the applicable fees.

What should I do when the work is completed?

Upon completion of the work, request a final inspection from the Building Inspections Office. When the work passes the final inspection, request a certificate of use and occupancy.

The certificate of use and occupancy is an important step in the process as there may be considerations unrelated to the house construction in a development, such as sewer, water and roads, which prevent issuance of a certificate of use and occupancy even though the "building" is complete.

It is illegal to use or occupy any structure without a certificate of use and occupancy.